SCHEME OF POST-MATRIC SCHOLARSHIP FOR STUDENTS BELONGING TO THE MINORITY COMMUNITIES
(Effective from 29.11.2007)
The Prime Minister’s New 15 Point Program for the Welfare of Minorities was announced in June, 2006. It provides that a post-matric scholarship scheme for meritorious students from minority communities would be implemented.
The objective of the scheme is to award scholarships to meritorious students belonging to economically weaker sections of minority community so as to provide them better opportunities for higher education, increase their rate of attainment in higher education and enhance their employ-ability.
The scholarship is to be awarded for studies in India in a government or private higher secondary school/college/university, including such residential institutes of the Government and eligible private institutes selected and notified in a transparent manner by the State Government/Union Territory Administration concerned. It will also cover technical and vocational courses in Industrial Training Institutes/ Industrial Training Centres affiliated with the National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) of classes XI and XII level.
Scholarship will be awarded to the students who have secured not less than 50% marks or equivalent grade in the previous final examination and the annual income of whose parents/guardian from all sources does not exceed Rs.2 lakh.
Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists and Zoroastrians (Parsis) have been notified as minority communities under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992. The distribution of scholarship among the States/Union Territories will be made on the basis of population of the above notified minorities in the States/ Union Territories of Census 2001.
30% of scholarship will be earmarked for girl students. In case sufficient number of eligible girl students are not available, then the balance earmarked scholarships may be awarded to eligible boy students.
Unlike scholarship for SC and ST, there are a fixed number of scholarships for minorities is small and limited. Students from BPL families, having the lowest income shall be given preference in the ascending order. The renewal applications would be fully exhausted before the new applications are considered.
Scholarship will be provided for the entire course. However, maintenance allowance will be given for a period not exceeding 10 months only in an academic year.
Actual financial assistance will be provided for admission & course /tuition fee and maintenance allowance as given below subject to a maximum ceiling indicated against item concerned:
|Sl. No.||Item||Hosteller *||Day scholar|
|1||Admission and tuition fee for classes XI and XII.||Actual subject to a maximum ceiling of Rs.7,000 p.a.||Actual subject to a maximum ceiling of Rs.7,000 p.a.|
|2||Admission and course/tuition fee for technical and vocational courses of XI and XII level. (Includes fees/charges for raw materials, etc.)||Actual subject to a maximum ceiling of Rs.10,000 p.a.||Actual subject to a maximum ceiling of Rs.10,000 p.a.|
|3||Admission andtuition fee for under-graduate, post graduate.||Actual subject to a maximum ceiling of Rs.3,000 p.a.||Actual subject to a maximum ceiling of Rs.3,000 p.a.|
|Maintenanceallowance for 10 months only in an academic year (Includes expenses for study material, etc.)||Rs.235 p.m.||Rs.140 p.m.|
|(i) Classes XI and XII including technical and vocational courses of this level.|
|(ii) Courses other than technical and professional courses at under-graduate and post graduate level||Rs.355 p.m.||Rs.185 p.m.|
|(iii) M. Phil and Ph.D (For those researchers who are not awarded any fellowship by university or any other authority)||Rs.510 p.m.||Rs.330 p.m.|
* Hostellers include students who are not staying in hostel of the school/institute concerned but are staying as paying guest or in rented accommodation in towns/cities which are not the places where their parents reside.
The scheme will be implemented through the State Government/ Union Territory Administration.
- Scholarship will be awarded to the students who have secured not less than 50% marks or equivalent grade in the previous final examination and the annual income of whose parents/guardian from all sources does not exceed Rs.2 lakh. Unlike scholarship for SC and ST, there are a fixed number of scholarships for minorities and hence preference for selection has been laid down. Students from BPL families, having the lowest income shall be given preference in the ascending order. The renewal applications would be fully exhausted before the new applications are considered.
- The award will be discontinued if a student fails to secure 50% marks or equivalent grade in the previous final examination. Scholarship will not be awarded for more than the normal period of time taken to obtain certificate/degree/M. Phil degree/doctorate degree.
- Scholarships will not be given to more than two students in a family.
- The students should be regular in attendance for which the yardstick will be decided by the competent authority of the school/college/university.
- Income certificate should be on self-certification basis by way of an affidavit on non-judicial stamp paper for self-employed parents and from employer for employed parents.
- The school/college/university authority will certify the claim of the student of being an outstation students not residing in hostel of the institution concerned on the basis of permanent address and parent’s address.
- Migration of students from one institution to another would not normally be allowed during the course of the academic year except under exceptional circumstances and in the interest of the student’s academic career.
- If a student violates any other term and condition of the scholarship, the scholarship may be suspended or cancelled. The State Government/Union Territory Administration can also directly cancel the award if duly satisfied of the reasons of violation of these regulations governing the scheme.
- If a student is found to have obtained a scholarship by false statement/certificates, his/her scholarship will be cancelled forthwith and the amount of the scholarship paid shall be recovered, at the discretion of the concerned State Government/Union Territory Administration.
- The State Government/Union Territory Administration will lay down the detailed procedure for processing and sanctioning of scholarships to eligible students.
- Course fee/tuition fee will be credited to the school’s/college’s/institution’s bank account. Efforts will be made for transferring it electronically through the banks.
- Maintenance allowance will be credited to the student’s bank account. Efforts will be made for transferring it electronically through the banks.
- The State Government/Union Territory Administration will maintain a separate account and records relating to the funds received from the Ministry and they will be subjected to inspection by the officers of the Ministry or any other agency designated by the Ministry.
- The student obtaining benefits under this scholarship scheme shall not be allowed to avail of benefits under any other scholarship scheme for the same purpose.
- The State Government/ Union Territory Administration shall constitute a committee of the departments implementing such scholarship schemes to ensure that the students from the minority community, who may also belong to SC/ST/OBC category, does not avail scholarship from other sources for the same purpose and avail only from one source.
- The fund for distribution of scholarships in subsequent years will be released after receiving the utilization certificate for the previous year.
- The scheme will be evaluated at regular intervals by the Ministry or any other agency designated by the Ministry and the cost of the evaluation study will be borne by the Ministry under the provision of the scheme.
- The State/Union Territory shall place all relevant details of financial and physical achievements on their website.
- The regulations can be changed at any time at the discretion of the Government of India.
As the magnitude of data to be entered and processed would be enormous as the scheme gets implemented over the years, there would be a need to engage qualified skilled personnel right from the beginning to ensure that the data based computerised systems are operational. Qualified skilled personnel possessing requisite expertise to operate computer programme designed for this purpose, enter, process, analyse, monitor, retrieve and transfer data should be engaged on contract basis as per need. Data provided by the States/Union Territories will be maintained and managed by the Ministry with personnel of similar expertise to be engaged on contract basis.
A provision not exceeding 2% of the total budget will be made to meet the administrative and allied costs viz. expenditure of the States/Union Territories and the Ministry for office equipments including computers and accessories, furniture, printing of application forms, advertisements, engagement of personnel, etc. This provision will also be used for evaluation and monitoring of the scheme, through outside reputed institutions/agencies engaged by the Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India and the State Governments/Union Territory Administrations.
The scholarship, once awarded, may be renewed during the next academic year of the course on the production of certificate that the student has secured 50% marks in the examination.
The scheme will be announced by the concerned State Government/Union Territory Administration well in time, through advertisements in the leading language newspapers and local dailies and by using other suitable publicity media.
The concerned State Government/Union Territory Administration will supply the application forms, till such time computerized systems are made operational. The application forms should be received back along with requisite certificates/certifications within the stipulated period.
100% funding will be given by the Central Government to the State Government/Union Territory Administration.
The States/Union Territories implementing the scheme shall monitor the financial and physical performance of the scheme at the State/Union Territory level. For this purpose, an IT enabled monitoring mechanism shall be in place. The State/Union Territory will be required to furnish quarterly financial and physical progress reports to the Ministry. The State/Union Territory shall maintain year-wise details of the students receiving scholarship, indicating school/college/institute, location of school/college/institute, government or private, class, gender, new or renewal, permanent address and parents address. The States/Union Territories shall place relevant physical and financial details in their official website.
The monitoring of the financial and physical performance of the scheme will be evaluated by assigning evaluation/impact studies to reputed institutions/agencies by the Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India.
Students belonging to notified minority communities viz. Muslim/Christian/Sikh/Buddhist/Jain/Parsi (Zoroastrian) studying in India only and fulfilling the Scheme guidelines are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
In case of fresh scholarships for the year 2014-15 students can apply online upto midnight of 15.9.2014 and in case of renewal of scholarships students can apply online upto midnight of 10.10.2014.
The Post Matric and Merit cum Means based Scholarship Schemes are online Schemes. In order to apply online please visit the website through URL www.momascholarship.gov.in link to the site is also provided in the website of the Ministry of Minority Affairs, i.e. www.minorityaffairs.gov.in.
No, the user id and password is not required to Students in order to apply for scholarship.Applying procedures under Post Matric Scheme for both Fresh and Renewal are given below:
- 1st Step - Student have to go with the option “Student registration”, on the home page of Scholarship scheme. Fill up the application as per the instructions given by the system then click on save button. After saving, student will get a “Temporary id”. The system will instruct the applicant to submit his/her Temporary id, date of birth and mother’s name under the option Student Registration Update Student Details” to fill up the next page. Once completed online registration click on “finalize and submit” button.
- 2 nd Step - Student should take a print out of the application by clicking on ‘Print Preview’ button, then sign and send it immediately with requisite documents to the State Department after authenticating the application from concerned institute.
List of Documents to be submitted along with the Hard Copy (Fresh):
- Self Attested certificates of educational qualification as filled up in para 11. (Certificate not required to be enclosed for renewal application)
- An Income Certificate issued by an authorized Officer in the States/UT be submitted
- Course fee receipt
- Self declaration of community by the student.
(Please ensure that your hard copy reaches to the State Department. You will not be considered for scholarship if the State Department of the State to which you belong to does not receive the hard copy of your duly filled in online application. It is the responsibility of the STUDENT to submit the Hard copy to the State Department.)
- 1st Step - Renewal Students have to apply with their Permanent id which they got previous year. They have go through the options Student Registration, Renewal. I know Permanent id. Student has to submit his/her Permanent id under this option to apply for renewal.
- 2nd Step – After submitting student has to upload the scan copy of the documents as per the instructions given at the time of applying. (The provision for the scanning of documents and uploading in the system is available in case of Renewal only. The option for uploading documents will appear in Renewal application form.) The list of documents to be uploaded is as under:
- Institution Verification Form. (Mandatory)
- Income Certificate issued by an authorized Officer in the State/UT - (Mandatory)
- Declaration of the Student. (Mandatory)
- Self Attested Certificate of Last Exam Passed as filled in the Form. (Mandatory)
- Fee Receipt of ‘Current Course Year’. (Mandatory)
- Proof of Bank Account in the Name of the Student. (Mandatory)
- Aadhaar Card (Optional)
- Proof of Address (Optional)
You can edit information filled by you until you finalize and submit the online application.
You can edit all fields except a few like parental income, mobile no. email Id, Bank account details etc. It may be noted that once you click on “Finalize and submit” button your application will be forwarded to the next level and then you cannot edit further.
Go to the option “Student Registration Update Student Details” then enter your Temporary id, Date of birth and Mother’s name to edit the application.
Fields provided with red asterisk(*) mark are mandatory fields.
You should separately inform the mistakes detected by you to the Institute/District/Region/State. The software provides facility at the level of the Institute & State to edit & correct limited information.
Except some basic parameters like religion, name of institution, parental annual income & bank details, the Institute/State can edit other fields. However, corrections made by the Institute/State, if any, would be conveyed instantly to the student through SMS/email. What the student had filled up and the correction made by the Institute/State both would show up.
No. You can fill up the online application in as many sittings as you wish, until you are satisfied that you have entered all desirable fields correctly. The software provides facility to save your application at every stage until you click on ‘submit & finalize’ button.
UID number otherwise known as ‘Aadhaar’ number is Unique Identification Number given by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). The Aadhaar Number should be mapped with the Bank Account in which Scholarship Amount is desired to be transferred. For this the concerned Bank may be contacted with a copy of the Aadhaar card.
Aadhaar no. is optional for the Students in order to fill up the application form online. Students can also apply for Scholarship without entering the Aadhaar no.
Temporary ID (TID) is only a reference number provided to the applicants as a token of their registration in the online database. Receipt of TIDs does not give itself a guarantee for award of scholarship.
Yes. A permanent ID (PID) will be provided to the candidate once his/her application is recommended by the State Department for scholarship. It will be conveyed to candidates through SMS and e-mail. Students should memorize their PID as it will be required while applying for renewal.
The process of re-collection of the temporary id is given as below:
Student Registration-->Update Student Details--> Don’t know your Id then enter the basic fields accordingly and click on the button “Get Temporary Id”.
The process of re-collection of the Permanent id is given as below:
Student Registration-->I know Permanent--> Don’t know your Id, then enter the basic fields accordingly and click on the button “Get Permanent Id”. Also by submitting the Temporary id in Feedback option on the home page, student can get his/her Permanent id.
No, you cannot apply as a fresh if you are a Renewal candidate. Your application will be rejected in that case.
You should immediately approach the institute to contact with the nodal officer of the State where the institute is located. You can also approach the Nodal Officer of that State directly through e-mail under intimation to the Ministry of Minority Affairs. If your institute is an eligible institution, the State Government concerned would enter it into the database and then you can apply.
The name and contact details of the Nodal Officer/State Department of all States/UTs are available in “Contact us” option. Also you can get the address of the concerned state Department under “List” option available on the home page Post Matric and Merit cum Means based Scholarship Schemes.
In case of Fresh you can take the print out of your application number of times once you submit and finalize the application. But in case of Renewal, student have to scan and upload the required documents in OSMS. Uploading option will be appear in Renewal form only.
Student can check the status of Online Application by submitting his/her Temporary/Permanent id in “Feedback” option given in the home page of Post Matric and Merit cum Means based Scholarship Scheme. Student can also check his/her submitted online application form by entering the basic informations given under the option student registration update student details.
If the application is recommended by the State Department for Scholarship a Permanent id will be provided to the student. By submitting that Permanent Id in “Feedback” option student can check whether his/her application is selected or rejected.